There are two ways to integrate free-floating with the Knot’s station.
YOU manage the free floating
In this case KNOT only provides sleeves that connect scooter to the station and guarantee the lock on a station. In this configuration KNOT doesn’t care whether the scooter has an IoT module and can be used in free floating module or it can be used docked-based only. As we don’t have access to the IoT module, it’s your job to unlock the IoT module on a scooter rented AND the spot in which the scooter is locked either in parallel or sequentially.
KNOT manages the free floating
In this second case,
(1) We (KNOT) provide the scooter with the IoT module integrated on it already,
(2) We register IoT module ID on our backend.
THREE scenarios are possible:
- When there is a request to unlock a spot on a station (station API), we unlock the spot and the scooter simultaneously
- When there is a request to unlock a scooter (vehicle API) and the scooter is locked in a station, we unlock the spot and the scooter simultaneously
- When there is a request to unlock a scooter (vehicle API) and the scooter is NOT in a station, we only unlock the scooter.
As shown in the diagram above, two events are sent to your backend by our backend. An ‘unlock ID’ is required when there is an unlock request.
The same ID value is used for both scooter and spot unlock, you need to use this ID otherwise the rent for the end user will be launched twice.
The unlock request is sent to the scooter first and to the station then. The station won't be unlocked if the scooter IoT fails to unlock.
We recommend to start the billing of the rent when you receive the
unlocked event from the station, since it is at this time that the scooter is outside of the station.